Keep losing my journal!

Julia Ruane-Smith

09 Nov, 2016 08:20 PM

I bought Lifejournal and used it for a long time. My computer died and I was told the only way to get my Lifejournal was to buy Lifejournal3. So I did. Got my stuff. Then I had my computer worked on and now I can't get any of my info. I use to be able to call and talk to 'someone' about what to do. I called Geek Squad and they couldn't find it either so now I can't get my Lifejournal3. I need someone to with walk me through getting it back. I am pretty upset about this.

1. 1 Posted by Julia Ruane-Smi... on 15 Feb, 2017 05:53 PM

And as usual no support response.... I will not be telling anyone to use this product! I think you should refund my money for the original product and for Lifejournal 3! :( And I think you should find my info aand give it to me!

2. 2 Posted by Julia Ruane-Smi... on 26 Jun, 2017 07:25 PM

Today's date is 26 June 2017 and I still have not received a response from you. Shame!

3. 3 Posted by C. Page Highfil... on 09 Jul, 2017 08:46 PM

I am a long-time user and now I have a similar problem, one day all of Life Journal, programs, data, just disappeared after I bought and transferred all windows 8.1 programs/data to new windows 10 computer. Worked on win10 for a while, then all disappeared. Now, have copied all of old Life Journal program folder from old windows 8.1 computer to thumb drive. I can copy to new computer, but want to see (from Life Journal folks) if it will run on windows 10. I have always had good responses from Life Journal.

Thanks,
    Page

4. 4 Posted by Julia Ruane-Smi... on 13 May, 2018 09:06 PM

Still nobody has contacted me. I haven’t been able to get Support to help me and I cannot get to any of my info to transfer it. This has been going on since before 2016 and I’m quite put out. I’m going to report them to BBB and talk to lawyer about it.

5. 5 Posted by Julia Ruane-Smi... on 13 May, 2018 09:10 PM

Page I use to be able to call and Ruth on the phone...

6. 6 Posted by Julia Ruane-Smi... on 22 Jun, 2018 04:29 PM

At one point I had to buy Lifejournal 2 to get my Writers Edition back that disappeared - per Ruth Follit herself. I did, got all my info... now all of it disappeared and no one in SUPPORT is responding. I found my original Lifejournal CD so I installed that again and it is totally empty, like brand new. I'm not buying another Lifejournal anything to get my info back... someone should be able to do something from their end, yes?

7. 7 Posted by manou.schreiner on 09 Jul, 2018 02:26 PM

Dear Julia,

I looked around in other discussions here on the forums and I noticed that no one seems to get a response from support anymore. Personally, I neither got a response to my post here in the forum nor to the e-mail, Facebook and Twitter messages I sent. I'm actually starting to wonder if they have not simply abandoned the whole project!

MS

8. 8 Posted by Julia Ruane-Smi... on 09 Jul, 2018 06:51 PM

I never bought the cloud version or internet version, whatever, but I find it interesting that in order to get my info back I had to buy the next version and it all popped up. I've seen Lifejournal advertised in magazines somewhere, can't remember where so I'm assuming they are still alive. For whatever reason they don't take care of their customers is beyond me. Maybe all of us should report them to the better business bureau then maybe they would do something! Wish I could find Ruth's phone number, I've looked, but I'm sure she's changed her number by now.

9. 9 Posted by Scot Gerardi on 24 Jul, 2018 04:46 AM

Hi Julia,
    I was reading your post and others and feel bad that the support is non existent. I looked on the addon page and it was dated 2013 which tells me no one is home. I looked in the knowledgebase and I saw a question about upgrading from version 2 to version 3. The article is titled: How do I upgrade from LifeJournal 2 to LifeJournal 3? In the article I read this: If you have purchased and used LJ2 but your journal entries are not on a computer and you want to convert them to LJ3 entries, you'll need at least two files: [YourName].ljd and [YourName].lja. They are usually found in C:\My Docs\LifeJournal[YourName].

If you have access to the complete [YourName] folder, usually found in C:\My Docs\LifeJournal\ [YourName], copy the folder and using Windows Explorer create a new folder on your computer C:\My Docs\LifeJournal\ [YourName] folder. Paste the content into the folder on your new computer. Then when you open the program and log in, the writer will already be pre-populated and your writer will appear in the log in. Use your previous password.

If you only have the two files [YourName].ljd and [YourName].lja (perhaps on a USB flash drive or external hard drive), when given the choices "New Writer," "Open Existing," or "Restore Writer," select "Restore Writer" and browse to [YourName].ljd. (Make sure that the two files-- [YourName].ljd and [YourName].lja-- are in the same directory on your USB flash drive.) Use your same password as before. This may tell you where your file is on your computer. I personally am a independent tech. Unfortunately there are many companies / programmers that abandon their products for various reasons. Many of these guys don't do this full time because the venture is not lucrative for them. I know this what you may not want to here but I use another product called The Journal by David RM. The web site is www.davidrm.com. David puts out a product called the Journal which is similar to this product. David is very responsive and fixes bugs. He does work for someone else but he doesn't abandon his customers. That is what so great about David. I wish I could help you further but I don't know much about this product. I hope you are able to get your data back if you can't I would move on since the company doesn't seem to care to support their product anymore.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac