Changed laptops....can't use or open the software

dkolditz

21 Sep, 2017 02:57 AM

I re-downloaded the software in an attempt to use my existing files. It looks like it may have transferred all of my files into where ever it goes and then asked me for the key. I have the original CD software with a key...but it's not working after entering it.
kinda lost at this point and need help restoring my software and data. I also saw an lja file in the same place I saw the ljd file. I picked the ljd file.....it still just asks me for the key. Which doesn't work.
HELP!!!

1. 1 Posted by DT on 19 Oct, 2017 12:01 PM

This is my big fear with LJ. I used the CD version...there is NO WAY I'm putting my journal out on the cloud. I have over 1,000 entries and even though I back it up, I'm sure the day will come when I lose a computer and won't have the software to read my files. Today, I had a crazy thought to print all my entries out and scan them to .pdf. I was disappointed to see that (unless I'm missing something), nothing except the entry itself prints...no DATES, no TITLE, no TOPICS lists. I put a lot of effort into my entries and I don't feel comfortable that I'm going to have them in 10 years.

2. 2 Posted by Missi Smith on 25 Oct, 2017 03:50 PM

I am having the same problem. I downloaded and updated and it won't come out of the "trial" version with the key I have. I can't make any new entries because I have exceeded the trial limit. It also won't let me add the add-on I purchased. Says that key isn't valid.

I have emailed for help, but the email I sent yesterday has not gotten a reply. I'm worried about my writing now too. And I agree that I will absolutely NOT put my journal on the cloud.

3. 3 Posted by Michael on 04 Dec, 2017 11:40 AM

I have been using LJ for a long, long time and have just switched computers.. Wrestling with a few glitch's that are aggravating, but all of my content is still there. I am exploring other journal apps, but keep coming back to LJ. Evernote was my top choice, but it ends up in the cloud and I want to stay local.

@ DT
    Instead of printing your entries, export them to rtf. You will then have an archive of all your entries, with dates, titles, images etc. And, from there you can print it if you wish.

It ends up as one long document, but it's all there.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac